Rotating Header Image

Triples quarter finals

Banbury Chestnuts BC was the host for this year’s quarter finals of the men’s Triples.

A very wet and thundery evening threatened play but fortunately stayed away just enough to allow all of the games complete.

The first game was between Watlington’s Rob Parkes, Gordon Hooker and Chris Gilkes against a Burford triple of Alan Tuckwell, Roger Hopkins and Bob Parker. A good start from the Burford trio see them take an early 7-0 lead before the Watlington boys hit back with a 6 shot pick up on the 5th end. Scores over the next 7 ends see Burford increase their lead to 17-9 after 12. The next 5 ends see the Watlington comeback, scoring 7 shots, including a 4 on the 17th end, to see them requiring only 2 shots going into the last end to force an extra end. They could not convert the head however and left Burford holding one shot and booking their place in the semi-finals.

The next game was between another Watlington triple, this time, Vic Webb, Adie Twinn and Adi Kemish against Banbury Central’s Alan Carter, Lee Young and Will Campion. A good start from the Central three see their lead at 11-3 after 7 ends. The next ends were won 6 to 1 to the Watlington trio, seeing the board at 14-12 in their favour after 14 ends. Ends 15 and 16 see the Central side regain the lead by 1 shot before dropping a 5 shot count on the 17th end. 4 shots were required going into the last and with great head building from the central trio see them holding 5 with the skips left to bowl. Watlington were unable to reduce this deficit and see a 5 shot pick up go the other way, enabling the Central team to progress to the semi-finals, 20-19 victors.

The third game of the evening was between yet another Watlington side, Mick Evins, John Rawson and Les Westcott against West Witney’s Andy McIntyre, David Leighfield and Kevin Alder. West had a strong start being 12-3 shots up at 7 ends. They continued on their start to increase their lead to 17-3 at 9 ends before Watlington hit back with a 3 shot pickup on the 10th. Another 5 shots for the Witney boys see their lead extend further to 22-6 before Watlington picked up their final shot of the match. Final score 22-7 to West Witney.

The final game of the evening was an all Headington match up between Sam Watts, Ray Gaskins and Nick Rae-Welsh against Steve Hainge, Kelvin Woodward and Ian Henwood. Henwood’s triple started well, taking an early 8-2 lead after 7 ends. Rae-Welsh’s triple then hit back winning the next three ends to reduce the deficit to 8-7 before Henwood’s trio scored a single on the 11th. 6 shots over the next 3 ends see Rae-Welsh’s team take the lead for the first time, 13-9 up before another single was picked up on the 15th for Henwood’s side. 4 more shots in the 16th and 17th ends for Rae-Welsh see Henwood’s team needing 7 to force an extra end but were unable to do so, only managing to pick up a single, thus seeing their club mates through to the semi-finals.

The county semi-finals day will be held at Carterton BC on Sunday 14th July.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *